A mix of options would be preferable IMO. L1 outlets in most places, and some
L2 stations marked with signs saying 4 hour limits. A notification system that
charging is done or that a space is available would be a nice enhancement.

One thing is I'm not convinced that providing L1 120v outlets is actually much
less expensive than providing L2 240v outlets (note I said outlet here, not
EVSE/station). Why? Because the wire and conduit will need to be sized
according to the continuous current demand. This in turn means using at least
10 or 12 gauge wire to keep voltage drop at 12 amps over some distances. Big
parking areas could need even larger wire just to handle voltage drop. At 240v,
voltage drop will have less of an effect (percentage wise) for the same
distance. In short, 240v outlets like NEMA 6-20 allow for smaller wire or
longer distances.
The other aspect the number of outlets per circuit. 240v is commonly done as 1
outlet per circuit wheres 120v often has several outlets per circuit. This
works for 120v because most loads are intermittent high loads (microwave,
vacuum) or low continuous (lights, TV). EVSE loads are generally high
continous. L1 EVSEs usually limit themselves to 12 amps; in a parking lot, that
would need one circuit per parking space assuming EVSEs all were active at once
together. In short, 240v needs the same number of circuits. (One difference,
though, is 240v will use 2x the electric panel circuit breaker slots.)

It is also possible to do this with power rationing. Several OpenEVSE based
solutions have been developed to allow multiple vehicles to share a single 240v
circuit. Tesla has also done this with their high power wall chargers that
allows up to 4 be linked together.

My recommendation: run wire/conduit that allows for an easy conversion from
120v to 240v circuits. If providing dedicated outlets, plan on 12 amps per
actively used parking space. If using linked EVSEs then check the EVSE specs to
see its sharing capabilities.

Last consideration: I am getting the impression that newer EV owners tend not
to be as interested in pulling out an EVSE each day to connect their cars.
Doing so is a hassle (esp rolling cord up afterwards) and it leaves their
personal EVSE vulnerable to incidents.