The NEC has changed through the years regarding GFCI protection.

120vac outdoor outlets were required to be GFCI protected since ~1972.

In the '80s when I worked as an electrician, outdoor 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlets were not required to be GFCI protected, but when used to power a hot tub, or near a pool, they were required to be GFCI protected. However, the newest NEC regulations require, as I understand it, all outdoor outlets up to 50 amps be GFCI protected. (I suppose you could put in a 60 amp breaker to get around the regulation...)

You should not even mention that an EV might use this outlet. It is simply an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet. Perhaps for a welder, or ???

The NEC has become more strict in the past 40 years. :-)

Depending on the brand of panel, 50amp 240V two-pole GFCI breakers are not insanely expensive. Typically $100 to $150. (For a Scheneider brand, they can cost over $400, however.) Choose your brand of sub-panel panel based on your breaker cost. :-) I would put the GFCI breaker so that is is handy to the outlet so you can easily reset it. At 5 mA trip threshold, you are likely to have to reset it with regularity. :-)

In the USA, the GFCI is set at an insanely low trip threshold of 5 mA. This is a bit of overreach by the NEC folks. It was initially set far to conservatively and they can't go up now that they have set the standard at 5 mA.

In NZ, and other parts of the civilized world, the ground fault (or residual current) trip threshold is 30 mA.  For context, it takes about 100 mA, directly across the chest of a healthy adult to cause a fatal shock. Small children and adults with unhealthy hearts, have a lower threshold than 100 mA. Thus, in hospitals, daycare facilities, etc. they set the requirement at 10 mA for devices with in their reach.

The base voltage in NZ, and most of the world, is 230V. This actually doubles the chance of getting the critical 100 mA jolt across the chest, but 30 mA is is still a safer option. First, the threshold is 1/3 of what is considered the lowest fatal shock current. Next, a shock directly across the chest is quite rare. You have to touch something of opposite electrical potential with each hand or arm. This is a _very_ rare occurrence.

The consequence of 5 mA threshold is nuisance tripping. Indeed, less trip current is "more safe" than more, I suppose, but it is impractical to apply GFCI to more that select parts of the house (and to the business.) In contrast the ENTIRE house is protected by GFCI in NZ under the modern NZ electrical code. Your electric range is GFCI protected, as are all your appliances, and every light fixture. Every outlet in the entire house is GFCI protected. You have one GFCI 30 mA breaker to cover the entire house, and it rarely trips. If the trip was 5 mA, this would be completely impractical as the nuisance tripping would make normal activities impossible. A hair dryer could easily darken your entire house.

I should note that commercial settings also have (with some exceptions) this facility-wide 30 mA GFCI protection on everything, under the modern electrical code.

Bill D.