As a consequence of the higher voltage, the current is lower for the
same power and where I hear a lot about electrical fires in the USA,
that is a rarity in Europe, while here in the USA I personally know of
two people who had a starting electrical fire in a power strip, one
could barely keep the flames from setting the bedroom on fire.

Going back to GFCI: my garage has a GFCI circuit. As a consequence, I
cannot use my garage to do any development work, because as soon as I
plug in one of my HP power supplies, even before I turn it on, the
heavy capacitive filtering on the AC line will trip the GFCI because
it indeed creates a current to ground. Though it is not leakage, it is
actually intentional because this is how you squelch EMC emissions on
the power line. And how you trip the GFCI. I need to run an extension
cord from a non-GFCI circuit to avoid that the lab power supply trips
the GFCI, talk about nuisance trips!

If I am not mistaken, the NEC has a class of GFCI (and I used to have
a breaker) that trips at 50mA, I believe there is even a 500mA limit.
This is only used in industrial settings where a lower limit will
indeed trip guaranteed.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/