As far as I know, Edison decided on 110VDC (That's why people in the US
constantly refer to it as "110" when it's not been that way for over a
century), as that was high enough to make conductors reasonable, but not
terribly lethal, (so he claimed) light bulb filaments could bear it, and
switchgear could handle the arcs.  When AC came along, to preserve the same
light bulbs, they matched Edison's DC. (RMS)

It started off as 110VAC, and slowly rose over the years until it was made
official in ANSI C81.1 in the early 1950's as 120VAC.