On 11 Mar 2024 at 12:05, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

> As a consequence of the higher voltage, the current is lower for the
> same power and where I hear a lot about electrical fires in the USA,
> that is a rarity in Europe ...

The higher domestic voltage also allows for more powerful appliances. A
typical French (and I assume most of EU, perhaps Asia) home receptacle
circuit can supply 3.8kW, compared to 2.4kW in the US, so over 50% more.

Plug connected space heaters and flatirons are typically 2kW, rather than
the usual 1.2kw or 1.5kW in the US.

An EV "granny cord" connected to a household or garage wall receptacle
delivers 2.3kW.  A Dacia Spring will charge in ~11 hours at that rate, so
it's practical.

You can also use ligher wire (less copper, lower cost) for the circuit
wiring, and for the appliance cables.  And for a given size, there's less
loss (waste heat, inefficiency) from wiring resistance.

I'm sure that there must be good reasons that the US chose 120 volts and
most of the rest of the world chose 240 volts, but I don't know what they
are.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Talking about the contents of this poster is illegal.
     It is important that you share this information with
     colleagues and neighbors, and discuss it with your
     family.  Failure to do so may lead to prosecution.
     For more information please reread.

                               -- Scarfolk Council poster

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/