A. Wolf wrote:
>> If you don't require some mathematical model of evolution of states
>> determining what happens in a Markovian way (like a Schroedinger eqn for
>> example) then one consistent mathematical model is just a list:... "Anna
>> wore a red sweater on 6 Nov 2008", "Anna wore a blue sweater on 7 Nov
>> 2008", Anna wore a coat on 8 Nov 2008",...  And there can be no
>> *logical* contradiction between lists.  One is as good as another.  As I
>> understand it, this sort of list is what Bruno's UD generates all
>> possible instances of and from them, somehow, the physical world emerges
>> as those lists which satisfy some consistency criteria.  But I'm not
>> clear on how these consistency criteria emerge from within the theory.
>>

> I'm not certain I was clear in what I described as being extant.  When I say
> "me wearing a red sweater today" I mean "some model of the universe
> identical to the one that existed yesterday with the difference that today
> my sweater is red".

Does "model" imply a theory which predicts the evolution of states
(possibly probabilistic) so that the state of universe yesterday limits
what might exist today?

> I'm not talking about time at all.
So why the reference to "today" and "yesterday".

> Time is just part of the overall
> structure of the multiverse.  I mean, the main appeal of Everett (to me) is
> that it reduces a problem which is difficult to define to a structural
> description of the universe.

So you're taking a block universe picture in which time is implicit some
sequence of states.

> So you can think of one consistent object as a mathematical structure that
> models our entire multiverse with all of its possibilities, from the start
> of the Big Bang according to the physical laws that govern it.

But I'm concerned about what defines "consistent".  If it is just
non-contradiction then any sequence of states seems to be as good as
another.  The mathematical consistency only applies within each state.

Brent