> "Capable of supporting" implies some physical laws that connect an
> environment and sapient beings.  In an arbitrary list universe, the
> occurrence of sapience might be just another arbitrary entry in the list
> (like Boltzman brains).  And what about the rules of inference?  Do we

This is true.  What you're describing...a list of states, in a
sense...would be a teeny subset of all possible consistent universes,
though.  It doesn't describe our own universe, for one example: there
is no "grand clock" that ticks down such that the universe can be
partitioned into states.  :)  I'd need to cover relativity to explain
why, but the universe isn't "sliceable" in the way you're suggesting
it is.