A. Wolf wrote:
>> Does "model" imply a theory which predicts the evolution of states
>> (possibly probabilistic) so that the state of universe yesterday limits
>> what might exist today?
>>

> No.  Model means a mathematical object.  One specific, unchanging,
> crystalline object you can hold in your hand and look at from a bird's-eye
> view.
>

>> So why the reference to "today" and "yesterday".
>>

> Because those are parts of the object I'm referring to.  I'm not looking at
> a time-sequence of objects...I'm considering time and events and the many
> universes that stem from it as part of the solitary object itself.
>

>> So you're taking a block universe picture in which time is implicit some
>> sequence of states.
>>

> It's a static model that includes all that infinite branching.
>

>> But I'm concerned about what defines "consistent".  If it is just
>> non-contradiction then any sequence of states seems to be as good as
>> another.  The mathematical consistency only applies within each state.
>>

> That's not true at all!  For example, something going faster than the speed
> of light would be a contradiction in our current universe.
But not a logical contradiction.  It would just contradict our assumed
model of physics, i.e. a nomological contradiction.

> Just because you
> can envision something doesn't make it mathematically possible.

It does unless there are some axioms and rules of inference such that
adding the thing I envision allows one to infer a contradiction.  That's
why I was asking about the model - does it have axioms and rules of
inference?

Brent