> Does "model" imply a theory which predicts the evolution of states
> (possibly probabilistic) so that the state of universe yesterday limits
> what might exist today?

No.  Model means a mathematical object.  One specific, unchanging,
crystalline object you can hold in your hand and look at from a bird's-eye
view.

> So why the reference to "today" and "yesterday".

Because those are parts of the object I'm referring to.  I'm not looking at
a time-sequence of objects...I'm considering time and events and the many
universes that stem from it as part of the solitary object itself.

> So you're taking a block universe picture in which time is implicit some
> sequence of states.

It's a static model that includes all that infinite branching.

> But I'm concerned about what defines "consistent".  If it is just
> non-contradiction then any sequence of states seems to be as good as
> another.  The mathematical consistency only applies within each state.

That's not true at all!  For example, something going faster than the speed
of light would be a contradiction in our current universe.  Just because you
can envision something doesn't make it mathematically possible.

Math is full of contradiction...it's how we prove nearly all mathematical
results.  Contradictions are those things we know to be false
(non-existent).  From a physicist's perspective, the universe is a
mathematical object.  If you need examples of mathematical contradiction I
would be happy to supply them.

Anna