That depends on what you think "free will" means. If it means a neural network can produce non-random outputs with no input - the answer is yes. If it means you can't know the totality of the causes of your thoughts and actions the answer is no. If it means you actions arise from your biology and experience without coercion the answer is no. It all depends on what you mean.

Brent

On 3/12/2010 1:28 PM, L.W. Sterritt wrote:
Doesn't free will imply that we live in a macroscopically acausal universe, where our neural networks can produce outputs with no physical input? Arguments about QM/randomness in the network seem to produce just that - randomness.

William

On Mar 12, 2010, at 12:53 PM, m.a. wrote:

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Bruno Marchal <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>
    *To:* everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Friday, March 12, 2010 2:49 PM
    *Subject:* Re: Free will: Wrong entry.

    On 12 Mar 2010, at 18:34, m.a. wrote:

    What sort of "short cut" are you talking about? I don't see any
    short cuts here. I can see where people will find reasons
    afterwards to justify their decisions by consulting conscience
    and notions of good and bad, but that's all
    /a posterior/.        marty a.

    I am not sure what you are talking about. You may elaborate what
    do you mean by free will, and why you believe it does not exist.
    But this has been discussed very often, notably on the FOR list.
    You may consult the archive.
    I am not sure "free" adds anything to the will. (Free) will is
    *the ability of a person to develop personal goals and to satisfy
    them in absence of coercion*. I think most animals have free
    will, and that such a notion has nothing to do with indeterminism
    of the mind (but has to do with self-indeterminacy). Like
    consciousness "having free will" is probably in the corona G* \
    G. If true it is not provable.

    Bruno
    Reply:
                   I agree with you that quantum indeterminacy
    doesn't affect (free) will:  "Quantum mechanics is local and
    deterministic, and explains why it seems indeterministic to the
    99,9999...% of the observers." (3/12/2010 7:58 AM),
    which is why I feel that your use of the words "ability"  and
    "develop" when you say: "the ability of a person to develop
    personal goals and to satisfy them in absence of coercion"
    (above) can as easily refer to completely determined processes
    which introspection identfies as voluntary a split second
    afterwards ... as it can anything else.   m.a.

    Google Groups "Everything List" group.
    To post to this group, send email to
    everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

    <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.