On 07 Mar 2011, at 15:26, Digital Physics wrote:

You write "white rabbits (flying crocodiles) are not random structures. They are aberrant consistent extensions, a bit like in our nocturnal dreams." I agree that white rabbits have programs much shorter than those of random structures.

It depends. Very short programs can generate all random structures. White rabbits have intrinsically very deep (in Bennett's sense) programs. They are relatively costly. But technically this is not enough for eliminating them from the first person appearance, unless we use the self-referential logics.

But you also claim that "most will consider their histories ... Chaitin-incompressible".

In the case of you being duplicated in W and M iteratively. Not in case of you in the UD's work.

This means long programs and no predictability at all, contradicting daily experience.

Not at all. If you agree with Everett, and send a beam of particles prepared in the state (up + down) on a "{up, down}-mirror", you see the splitting of the beam. If you label the left and right electrons by W and M, you can bet the strings will be incompressible, and this is a quantum analog of iterated self-duplication. This gives an hint for the vanishing of the WR: computable histories about the substitution level, and randomness below. That justifies in part the quantum appearance from the digitalness of the mind (not of matter).

Then you say "but computer science and mathematical logic shows that it is not easy either to prove that comp and first person indeterminacy implies [flying rabbits]". I don't understand - it has been shown it's not easy to prove that? How has it been shown it's not easy to prove that?

That is actually rather obvious, if you know just a bit of computer science. To get all the computational histories, you need Church thesis and the enumeration of all partial computable function. By the padding theorem, this is a highly redundant and fractal (and complex) structure, and by the theorem of Rice, the set of codes corresponding to any non trivial functions is not recursive (making our substitution level) unknowable. So it is rather highly complex to derive the possibility of white rabbits from that. In this list we discuss alternate manner to approach that measure problem.

And you say: "There is no reason for making all relative histories equally likely." But then what's the alternative?

To study the math of the universal dovetailing, and of what machine can say about themselves and about they consistent extension relatively to it. Accepting the comp theory, together with the classical theory of knowledge, although we don't have the measure, we can extract the logic obeyed by the particular case of the "measure one". I have succeeded in showing that it obeys already a quantum-like logic. This needs a bit of advanced computer science/mathematical logic. See my paper for details and references.

I have to say that I am a bit astonished that some people seems to have difficulties to grasp that once we assume comp, theoretical computer science becomes *the* key tool to progress on the fundamental question. The beam example above suggests empirically that we are physically duplicated in the iterative way. But obviously we are not just duplicated iteratively, we are also obeying computational laws, and arithmetical laws, etc. If that was not the case, comp would imply white noise and would fall immediately in Russell's Occam catastrophe. But, thanks to God, universal numbers does not put only mess in Platonia, they generate also a lot of order.

-- Bruno Marchal