On 4/29/2011 9:25 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Hi John,

On 28 Apr 2011, at 21:40, John Mikes wrote:

Dear Bruno, allow me to interject some remarks (questions?) indented and starting (JM):
John

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    On 28 Apr 2011, at 13:10, Richard Ruquist wrote:

    Bruno said, " If not you would give to consciousness the ability
    to suppress branches in the quantum multiverse (like with the
    wave collapse), "
    Exactly what I am asking. Is this a possibility?

    It is a logical possibility. But it is inconsistent  with the
    computationalist hypothesis in the cognitive science, or with the
    idea that QM is a universal theory.

/(JM): how about that computationalist hypothesis being false and QM being-NOT-a universal theory?/

In that case we must search for another theory in mind studies, and another theory in physics studies. But today, they work well, especially together, and the more we study them, the more astonishing they look. I like them, because I like to surprises. I like theories which shake my prejudices.

    The collapse of the wave has been defended during almost one
    century and nobody can explain it. The observer can no more be
    described by quantum mechanics, nor by digital mechanism.

/ (JM): so be it. Is there a 'collapse' of a function? is an 'observer' reaistic as thought?/

A theory can always be false. The problem of the collapse of the wave function is that it has to violate relativity, or physical realism or logic. Without collapse, an observer is at least as realistic than the objects of his study. The observer does not need a special status, he belongs to the world he is observing.

Note that is exactly contrary to some interpretations of QM, e.g. Bohr's

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1009/1009.4072v1.pdf

and more recently Asher Peres

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/9711/9711003v1.pdf

The "collapse" of the wave function is easily explained as an epistemic event in one's description of the system.

Brent

With comp also. This allows monism: the researcher is embedded in the field that he searches. No need of a cut between subject and object. No need for an ontological dualism.

    But it is not a logical contradiction. It is just not plausible,
    a bit like the idea that God made the creation in six days some
    millennia ago. We can't contradict such a statement, but it
    necessitates a very complex theory with many "corrective
    principles" which will be seen as ad hoc.
    /(JM): how were the "SIX DAYS" measured before OUR time-frame was
    'created???/

God created a little mechanical clock to begin with, and six days was for him just 6 * 24 * 60 * 60 seconds ;)

    In science we never know-for-sure the truth. There are no
    certainties.
    /(JM): conventional science, that is. We cannot speak for the
    future/.

We can, accepting a theory. With comp we can explain that science will never know for sure, and that knowing anything for sure, except one own consciousness, is a case of insanity. Of course comp might be false, in which case you might be right. Note also that there are many futures, both on the first person plane (hell, heaven, the Tibetan intermediate realms, etc.) and on the third person plane, as described by the wave function. All this by *conjecturing* comp and/or QM.

    With computationalism we have a quasi complete explanation of
    consciousness, capable of justifying completely its own
    incompleteness, and a complete explanation (although not yet
    completed, to be sure) of the origin of the appearance of
    physical reality (both the quanta and the qualia).

    To allow consciousness to make the other branches, or the other
    computations disappearing, seems to me a bit like making a
    problem much more complex for unclear reason.

    But comp might be false, that is a possibility. Indeed, if comp
    is true, it has to be a possibility. Comp, like consistency in
    arithmetic entails the possibility of its refutation, and should
    never been taken as an axiom, just a meta-axiom, or an act of
    faith. If not, we become inconsistent.

/ (JM): thanks, Bruno, for the wisdom./

You can thank the universal machine. I am just her messenger ;)

    My point here is just to explain that IF comp (DM) is true, THEN
    physics is a branch of machine's psychology/theology/biology. I
    don't pretend this is obvious.

    I do find comp plausible from the currently available data. Both
    comp, the hypothesis, but also through its multiverse/multidream
    consequences.

    Bruno

/(John)/

Have a good day, John,

Bruno

    Richard

    On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Bruno Marchal