Hi Scerir and Friends,

    Thank you for posting this link to N. Gisin’s paper. In it Gisin makes a
very eloquent and forceful argument against MWI based on the experience of free
will.

You can find a talk that he gave on the subject here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnV7zUR9UA

    I think that Gisin's argument is stunted by the fact that he does not
consider the effects of multiple entities having free will and instead only
considers a single entity having free will in the MWI picture. His point in the
paper that "if a specific interaction with one possible state of affair produce
a desired effect, this very same specific interaction with most of the other -
equally real according to many-worlds - state of affairs would produce
uncontrolled random effects. Hence, it seems that there is no way to maintain a
possible window for free will in the many-worlds view" is correct but the
"uncontrolled randomness" is only random because we can only resort to an
equiprobable ensemble to do calculations of the effects of the interaction in
that context.
    If we consider multiple observers within the MWI, it seems to me that in
order for some measure of coherent communications to obtain between them there
must be something like a super-selection rule on the branches of the
superpositions such that only those mutually compatible observables are able to
form a set of mutually true (in the bivalent Boolean sense) in the sense of
relative commutativity of observables on each time-like (not just space-like)
hypersurface of a foliation of space-time for those observers. I think that
this is something that decoherence is pointing toward.

    Free will follows from the lack of a priori determinateness of the members
of that set of observables. Just as we cannot demonstrate a computation that
can compute whether or not a given computation will halt, we can similarly not
demonstrate a finite Cauchy hypersurface of initial conditions that can
uniquely determine both the order of measurements nor the mutual results of
those measurements. Free Will is the freedom to chose the basis of a
measurement.

Onward!

Stephen