On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:47 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 7/10/2011 8:48 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

Why can't we mentally construct new colors
ourselves?

We have little control over the number of cone cells we are born with. (But this may change soon, using gene therapy). If we had full control to rewire our brain in any way we wanted, we could perceive entirely novel, never before seen colors.

Supposedly people who receive artificial lenses in their eyes can see a little into the ultra-violet part of the spectrum. I don't suppose this gives them the sensation of a previously unseen color though since the eye doesn't have any cones with specific pigment for UV (at least my mother says she doesn't notice any new colors).

Brent

What I've heard is that those people report uv light as purpleish white. It is because uv light stimulates all three types of cones, but affects the short wavelength preferring cone somehat more strongly.

Jason