On 7/11/2011 3:29 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
I'm not talking about the idea of a primary color as linguistic
distinction, I'm talking about the inability of a color to be reduced
to combinations of other colors. Red, Green, and Blue are the primary
hues of projected light, Red, Yellow, and Blue are the primary hues of
reflected light.

It's not the case that all colors can be reproduced by combinations of a fixed choice of red, green, and blue. I refer you to pg 818 of Sears and Zemansky - my freshman physics text. In any case, the fact that one can approximately match a color with an RGB mixture is a consequence of the human eye having three pigments in the color receptors. If it had four, then you'd need another "primary" color.