On 27 Jul 2011, at 00:00, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/26/2011 1:48 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I don't believe in a "granted" (primitive) cosmos, nor in any thing primitively physical. Nor do I believe in their inexistence. I heard only rumor. I am agnostic on that issue. But I don't believe in the compatibility of such beliefs with comp.

Why not? ISTM your paper only shows that the world might be arithmetical; not that it entails a contradiction both to say 'yes' to the doctor and that there is primitive matter.

The work is supposed to show that comp ("yes doctor+Church thesis") makes primitive matter, if it exists, having no relation at all with what you can observe and measure. It makes matter equivalent with invisible horses pulling cars. You need the usual weak version of Occam, or simply rationalism, to get a contradiction. Such a matter, in which you would continue to belief in despite betting on comp, is not the "matter" as physicalist people are used to think about.