On 01 Aug 2011, at 01:12, Craig Weinberg wrote:

I do strive for rigorous clarity, but I think that the nature of the
subject matter itself is oceanic and paradoxical.

It is a reason to be as clear as possible.
In front of paradox or contradiction, if we are clear, we can discuss which axiom to withdraw or to weaken, until we find the culprit, and then we can build again new axioms.

If you don't do that you will not even convince yourself, and nobody will able to show you wrong (and thus you will not learn).