On 01 Aug 2011, at 21:42, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Aug 1, 2:33 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On 01 Aug 2011, at 01:12, Craig Weinberg wrote:

What would be the part of a burning log that you need to emulate to
preserve it's fire?

What you call fire is a relation between an observer and fire, and
what you need consists in emulating the fire and the observers at his
right substitution level (which comp assumes to exist).

Jason and Stathis have already explain this more than one time, I think.

The explanations I've heard so far are talking about something like
virtualized fire and a virtualized observer.

Yes. That is the point.

I'm asking about how
would you emulate fire so that it burns like fire to all observers
that fire exists for.

Here, you are asking me to make a confusion of level. To understand the point you need only to understand that the virtual people feel the virtual fire, when they are emulated at their right substitution level.

It needs to burn non-virtualized paper.

You ask for the impossible. But this is not asked, nor followed, by computationalism.

Heat
homes, etc. How does arithmetic do that, and if it can't why is that
not directly applicable to consciousness?

Arithmetic does that because Turing universality is an arithmetical concept, and that numbers have 'naturally' universal relations in between each other.

Once you bet your survive with a digital brain, and possess some amount of self-referential ability, you can understand that in fine the mind body problem can be translated into a body appearance problem in arithmetic. By a 'wonderful miracle' (the Solovay logics) we get a bit more than physics, but a propositional machine's neoplatonist-like theology.