On 15 January 2012 16:36, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

> My questions here go back to this idea of "realities independent of the
> 1p context in which they manifest". This "independence" seems to be the same
> kind of "independence" that I am wrestling with in my debate with Bruno. Is
> it truly independence in the sense of separability, in the sense that a
> coherent notion of Reality can exist completely isolated from the 1p's? I
> don't see how! But this takes me back to the tar pit of solipsism... Why not
> use solipsism constructively? This is what Andrew Soltau is attempting to
> do...

Yes, I appreciate Andrew's thinking and gave have corresponded with
him.  I think the view I have outlined - albeit (as befits my limited
technical abilities) in very general terms -  does correspond to a
species of "universal solipsism" (which I think is more or less
equivalent FAPP to Andrew's multi-solipsism) in terms of which one can
see that the "selection" of other, mutually-exclusive moments with
entirely orthogonal personal entanglements is inevitable, whilst at
the same time being able to intuit (just about!) that their content
is, by that very token, constitutively inaccessible from "here" (like
the old Irish joke).  What I called the escape from solipsism is then
the justified belief in the equivalence of other points of view, or to
put it another way, the selective attention of a universal mind.
Please forgive me for not commenting in any detail on the more
technical parts of your response - which I nonetheless deeply
appreciate - simply because at this point I am unable to critique them
in any very sensible way.

However, in general terms I’m intrigued, as well as frustrated, by the
difficulties we all seem to encounter in sharing our intuitions about
consciousness and its relation to whatever may be “external” to it.
There is a venerable theory that as infants we do not make the
distinction between self and other.  This is usually interpreted as
meaning that the infant lives in a solipsistic world of self, unable
as yet to conceptualise “another”; the transition out of infancy
correspondingly occurring when that distinction eventually dawns.  But
perhaps this is to get it backwards: the belief in externality is so
critical to survival that it surely must be very deeply embedded.
Hence it seems at least as likely that the infant lives in terms of
pure “externality”, unable as yet to conceptualise an “internalised”
self.

At some point (quite early), the developing infant starts to correlate
parts of externality with its own sensations, which, being primary and
direct, do not in themselves require further elaboration.  By this
means, it progressively associates its sensations with a growing sense
of embodiment, and the absence of them with “not-me”.  The lack of
such direct, personal correlation with otherwise similar embodiments
implies the existence of “others who are not me”, and these various
distinctions progressively become reinforced by a web of consistent
mutual reference.  It should be noted that at no point in this
discussion is any “internalised” conception of self necessarily
implied.  Rather, there seems in the first place to be a direct,
primary correlation of immediately intuited sensation with
externally-projected forms; these forms secondarily developing stable
associations with a rich variety of self/non-self distinctions.

Does this imply that there could be natural variation in the extent to
which, if at all, particular individuals will eventually conceptualise
their own “selves” as some internal milleu independent of the
unreflective correlation of sensation-externality?  Julian Jaynes of
course discussed a similar question in “The Origin of Consciousness in
the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind” (which, as a biographical aside,
I once, in desperation, resorted to in a game of charades!).  His own
view was that there is substantial evidence to imply that human adults
in earlier times may have lacked such an internal “self conception”,
but that this earlier form of organisation had subsequently become
disadvantageous, leaving perhaps only feeble traces in modern schizoid
states.  But perhaps the truth is more nuanced.  Perhaps there is a
more-or-less hard-wired spectrum of “first-person awareness”, whose
variation is correlated with marked differences in susceptibility to
the MB problem, even after prolonged, unprotected exposure to
philosophical intercourse.

David