On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

>If consciousness has a survival value [...]

Then consciousness must  change behavior and the Turing Test works for
consciousness as well as intelligence .

> then surely omniscience, teleportation, or the ability to turn into a
> diamond on command would have an even greater survival value.

Yes, and if random mutation and natural selection could have produced any
of those things (except perhaps for the diamond thing, the survival value
is not obvious) in the 3 billion years available we would indeed have those
abilities but apparently they were too hard to produce.

  John K Clark