On 8 March 2012 18:37, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > each of whom must possess a singular perspective.
>

> Yes, both brains have a single identical perspective.

I'm sorry, but your recent comments strongly suggest you have not
fully grasped the premise of the experiment.  After duplication and
reconstitution in W and M the two copies cannot possibly have
"identical perspectives".  They are not in a "symmetrical room" - they
are reconstituted in two different environments and consequently their
personal histories will immediately begin to diverge.  As to their
still being "one person", if you stuck a pin in the one in W, surely
you wouldn't expect the one in M to flinch?

You seem to be pursuing a separate argument about the definition of
"person", which is not the point at issue.  Sure, if we could
routinely duplicate bodies, we would need a more sophisticated
book-keeping method to keep track of them.  But the copies in question
could be in no doubt as to their possession of separate and
mutually-insulated perspectives after duplication, even if they might
be apt argue fruitlessly about which was the "true heir".

David