Oh my god, I'm going to scream. Do you think it's possible John and
Craig are actually *one and the same person*, some kind of evil
mastermind über-troll intent on driving us all over the brink of
sanity? What's clear now is that John has painted himself into a
corner from which he can never retreat, however absurd his position
becomes. He will argue black is white until he's blue in the face in
order to avoid ever having to say, "Oh, I get it now! I misunderstood
your point."

One wise thing Craig said: I suggest you stop reading my posts. That
was excellent advice, my mental health rapidly improved. Now that I
realise that John = Craig (perhaps duplicates of the same wicked mind
in Helsinki and Moscow), I think I'm going to apply the same policy to
John too.

On Mar 18, 3:07 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> > The experience consists in being duplicated each day, for ten days in a
> > row.
> Oh dear, Is this really necessary?
> > He is duplicated in two similar rooms, except for a big "1" painted in
> > the wall of one of these rooms, and a big "0" painted on the corresponding
> > wall in the other rooms
> I hope you do realize that if one copy sees a "0" and another copy sees a
> "1" then the identical copies are no longer identical and they
> differentiate into different people. If that's the point you're trying to
> make there is no need for things to be so elaborate.
> > The question which is asked to Arthur, specifically, is to predict if he
> > will see a 0, or a 1 on the wall, and if he will get a cup of tea.
> I haven't even finished reading this post but already I see a potential
> pronoun land mine, the dreaded "he", a word that threatens to render the
> entire exercise useless.
> > I duplicate him in the two rooms, and then I wake up and interview them,
> > but separately, and this each day, reiterating the duplication for all the
> > resulting copies. Obviously I will have a lot of work the tenth day,
> > because I will have to interview 1024 copies, or more simply to review 1024
> > diaries,
> I can't help but think that adding this ridiculous complication was done to
> hide, perhaps even from yourself, that all that is going on here is that
> there is no way for poor old Arthur to make a prediction if he will see a 0
> or a 1 that is better than the laws of probability. In other words ALL the
> different Arthurs (and they are all different because they all saw
> different things) can only guess if they will see a 0 or a 1. What is new
> here?
> > A-110 "Hmm... perhaps "010101?"
> > A-111 "No idea what the hell is going on"
> I'll tell you exactly what the hell is going on, different people see
> different things. Is this really a revolutionary discovery?
> > Arthur try to predict his 1-stories,
> And in general Turing Machines like Arthur can not predict their 1-stories,
> they don't know if they will stop until they do. I ask again what is new
> here?
> > Note that you don't even need to attribute consciousness to Arthur.
> Obviously, no experiment can directly observe consciousness.
> > I can't say it more easily and clearly: the 1-person indeterminacy is the
> inability to predict the content of the personal diary
> Well I can say it more easily and clearly, 1-person indeterminacy is
> indeterminacy period. And actually, "the inability to predict the content
> of the personal diary" is not only a trait we share with Turing Machines it
> is the only definition of "free will" (other than a sound made by the
> mouth) that is not circular gibberish.
>  John K Clark

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
For more options, visit this group at 

Reply via email to