On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> How does a digital artificial intelligence make sense of it's world

Superbly! A digital AI can make sense of it's world far better than you
can; if you doubt that statement just try competing against even a modest
chess playing computer.

> > without converting or sampling every truth about that world available to
> it into digital?

It does convert much of its world to digital, if its world is large it may
not be able to convert all of it with the result that it won't be able to
make sense of all of it, but it will understand more of it than you do as
can be proven with real world testing. Undoubtedly you will say that just
because the machine beat the pants off you doesn't mean it understands the
material better than you do, and you may have told your professor that just
because you got a F on the final exam doesn't mean you didn't understand
the material better than the professor did, but I think you will find that
both remarks are equally convincing.

  John K Clark