On Apr 2, 9:02 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I like Julian Jaynes idea that it is a side-effect of using the same parts of
> the brain
> for cogitation as are used for perception.  That would be the kind of thing
> that evolution
> would do, jury rigged but efficient.

I like what I've read of Jaynes too. The Bicameral Mind helps begin to
model what I call super-signifying ideas in culture (much better than
H.A.D.D., which I hate for explaining religion but works well for
explaining why we want to believe computers can become conscious). I
don't know of anything he wrote about though that explains why or how
awareness could exist in the first place.

Craig