On Apr 2, 8:06 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From blindsight, synesthesia, and anosognosia we know that particular
> > qualia are not inevitably associated with the conditions they usually
> > represent for us, so it seems impossible to justify qualia on a
> > functionalist basis. Just as a computer needs no speakers and video
> > screen inside itself, there is no purpose for such a presentation
> > layer within our own mechanism. Of course, even if there were a
> > purpose, there is no hint of such a possibility from mechanism alone.
> > If there was some reason that a bucket of rocks could benefit by some
> > kind of collective 'experience' occurring amongst them, that's a
> > million miles from suspecting that experience could be a conceivable
> > possibility.
>
> > Rather than 'consciousness', human beings would benefit evolutionarily
> > much more by just being able to do something mechanically conceivable
> > things like teleport, time travel, or breathe fire. Awareness doesn't
> > even make sense as a possibility. Were we not experiencing it
> > ourselves we could never anticipate any such possibility in any
> > universe.
>
> Since there is no evolutionary advantage to consciousness it must be a
> side-effect of the sort of behaviour that conscious organisms display.
> Otherwise, why did we not evolve as zombies?

Because existence is a subordinate category of awareness and not the
other way around. Evolution is an epiphenomenon of physics, and
physics is the back end of the Totality. The front end is awareness.

To assume that consciousness must be a side-effect of something else
begs the question of the origin of consciousness and arbitrarily
privileges purposeless mechanism from the start. Once you make that
presumption, it follows logically that consciousness must be an
illusion since it can't be explained. The logic isn't bad, it's just
based on initial assumptions that aren't carefully examined. Awareness
transcends logic.

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative
from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything we
talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates
consciousness.” - Max Planck 25 January, 1931”

Craig