On 4/2/2012 7:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Apr 2, 9:02 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

I like Julian Jaynes idea that it is a side-effect of using the same parts of
the brain
for cogitation as are used for perception.  That would be the kind of thing
that evolution
would do, jury rigged but efficient.
I like what I've read of Jaynes too. The Bicameral Mind helps begin to
model what I call super-signifying ideas in culture (much better than
H.A.D.D., which I hate for explaining religion but works well for
explaining why we want to believe computers can become conscious). I
don't know of anything he wrote about though that explains why or how
awareness could exist in the first place.

Why perception exists is pretty obvious in terms of evolutionary advantage. Even bacteria perceive chemical gradients. Jaynes theory shows why thinking should be like perceiving a voice in your head.

Brent

Craig