On 6/4/2012 10:07 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > You're hung up on the idea that purposeful action must be predictable.
Apparently
    you never studied game theory.

I'm no world class expert but I've taken several college courses on game theory and I know enough to understand that there has been no difficulty in incorporating the ideas of that discipline into computer programs, indeed many recent advances in game theory have come from the results of computer experiments.

And so you know that pursuant to the purpose of winning a game it may be useful to make a random choice.

So are computers purposeful?

It depends on their program. Deep Blue purposefully acted to win chess games. Spirit and Opportunity purposely explored parts of Mars.

Do computers have this thing you call "free will"? If not why not.

Depends on what you mean by "free will". I think that with certain AI programming a computer could have the so called "feeling of free will", i.e. it could infer that it made a choice that was purposeful but not determined (even in cases where it was determined). If it were equipped to act it could act free of coercion.

Brent

  John K Clark