On Tue, Jun 5, 2012  on Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> >> There are only two things I mean by "free will" because they are the
> only two that are not gibberish, but nobody around here except me likes
> either definition:
> 1) Free Will is the inability to always know what you are going to do
> before you do it.
>

> > That would be too large. Pebbles does not know what they will do, for
> example.

Yes, so pebbles have free will. I didn't say my definition of free will was
useful, I only said it was not gibberish.

> Free will is more in the knowledge of that inability,

But many people lack that knowledge including everyone on this list except
me, it is a fact that they can be absolutely positively 100%  certain they
will do X at future time Y but when the time comes they find themselves
doing something not even close to X.  In fact such a thing is not even
rare.

> including its exploitation to accelerate the decision in absence of
> complete information.

Computers can make guesses based on the most probable outcome too, and if
fitted with a simple hardware random number generator can make guesses
based on nothing at all; as I've said computers used that fact to tell
people how to build a H-bomb with the Monty Carlo algorithm.

> > 2) Free Will is a noise made by the mouth by a certain subset of bipedal
> creatures.
>
> I don't think so. Here you confuse the concept of free will with the noise
> made by mouth when talking on that concept in english.

But that's exactly the problem, there is no concept of free will, there is
only the noise "free will", a noise like a duck's "quack" that stands for
nothing.

> there are many situation when a computer can predict its doing

Yes, but in general they can not.

 John K Clark