On Mon, Jun 4, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 > And so you know that pursuant to the purpose of winning a game it may be
> useful to make a random choice.

Certainly!  Random choice is a key part of the Monte Carlo method of
statistical mechanics and it is one of the most important computer
algorithms ever made, the H-bomb could never have been invented without it.

> Deep Blue purposefully acted to win chess games. Spirit and Opportunity
> purposely explored parts of Mars.

Agreed.

> Depends on what you mean by "free will".

There are only two things I mean by "free will" because they are the only
two that are not gibberish, but nobody around here except me likes either
definition:
1) Free Will is the inability to always know what you are going to do
before you do it.
2) Free Will is a noise made by the mouth by a certain subset of bipedal
creatures.

> I think that with certain AI programming a computer could have the so
> called "feeling of free will"

Yes, as Turing proved, even computers don't know what they will do until
they do it.

  John K Clark