On 6/4/2012 7:48 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:37 pm, Stathis Papaioannou<stath...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Craig Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>  wrote:
If it doesn't make sense to you then you can append "pseudo-" whenever
you talk about deciding something or having free will. We make
pseudo-decisions and have pseudo-free will. People who make bad
pseudo-decisions get into trouble; I did it against my pseudo-will
because he held a gun to my head; and so on.
If it's causally efficacious (gets real people into real trouble) the
it can't be pseudo.
An automatic pilot has pseudo-free will according to you but it is
still causally efficacious.
An automatic pilot has no will. It's just a program implemented
technologically. Its causal efficacy is second hand by way of being
designed by people who have free will.

And you're just a program implemented biologically, designed by random variation and natural selection.

However, if your argument is now that if
it's causally efficacious it is real then not pseudo, then that's fine
too - and compatible with determinism.
The name describes what it is - automatic pilot: A prosthetic
extension of consensus skills derived from the senses and motives of
human pilots.

Actually it can sense things humans can't (e.g. GPS signals, barometric pressure, magnetic North,...) and it can react faster and more reliably - which is why it gets to fly the plane. And it's not distracted by those 'free' motives the stewardess would elicit from you.

Brent

Craig