On Jun 15, 2012, at 7:05 AM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Stathis
>
> let me try to explain myself in a less "1st p. vocabulary".  As I explained I
> carry an 'agnostic' worldview, because over the past millennia the
> information what humanity gathered about "the world" increased steadily and
> we have so far no indication of having reached omniscience. So I believe you
> when asking out loud: "what ELSE is there?" and I have no answer of course. 2
> trivial e.g.,-s:
> # Before Volta there was no hint to 'electrical' (whatever that is) phenomena
> but after his observation a branch of developing physics speaks a lot of
> such. #The Flat Earth was also a notion (even the Bible speaks about "the 4
> corners" of it) and newer information developed a different cosmology over
> the past centuries.
> And so on, why not getting new information in mentality questions as well? or
> factors (even so far unknown 'domains') that may influence whatever we do
> know/think/choose?

No possible scientific discovery would make a difference to the debate on free
will insofar as it is just a matter of semantics.

> And may I throw back your term: the "choice" you ask about is a PSEUDO -
> choice, not choosing from ANYTHING (haphazardly), but within the given
> possibilities (potentials) - in the unlimited complexity of which currently
> we know only a portion. More we know than yesterday or 1000 - 10,000 years
> ago, but believably less than we may learn hereafter. (I.e. in my
> agnosticism).

Can you have a choice if your actions are determined or random? That's the
question. The answer is a question of taste. The reality of living your life
and making choices or pseudo-choices has nothing to do with the answer.

> (And you left untouched my question about  W H O  is discussing with YOUR
> brain - and how?)

I am, the entity generated by my brain or whatever is generating my
consciousness. And that too is independent of the question of free will.

Stathis Papaioannou