From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-14, 21:24:57
Subject: Re: A rat brain robot

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:25:31 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

So the neurons of a rat's brain can constitute a mind, but computer chips with
the same functionality can't?

Brent

It's begging the question to say the computer chips have 'the same
functionality' as a rat's brain and then presume to claim that demonstrates
functional equivalence.

The whole question is what is meant by functionality. Do the computer chips
metabolize oxygen? Do they produce antibodies to rat viruses? Again I point to
my cymatics example. I can generate cymatic patterns on a monitor screen using
computer chips without there being any sound associated with their production
at all. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that any computer chip could
ever have 'the same function' as a living cell. Function is a transactional
relation, it is necessary but not sufficient to assure awareness.

Craig