From: Stathis Papaioannou
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-16, 19:54:11
Subject: Re: A rat brain robot

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's begging the question to say the computer chips have 'the same
> functionality' as a rat's brain and then presume to claim that demonstrates
> functional equivalence.
>
> The whole question is what is meant by functionality. Do the computer chips
> metabolize oxygen? Do they produce antibodies to rat viruses? Again I point
> to my cymatics example. I can generate cymatic patterns on a monitor screen
> using computer chips without there being any sound associated with their
> production at all. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that any computer
> chip could ever have 'the same function' as a living cell. Function is a
> transactional relation, it is necessary but not sufficient to assure
> awareness.

We're not interested in those other functions. What we're interested
in, essentially, is whether the robot rat controlled by the computer
chips moves in similar manner to a biological rat. You look at the
robot rat and the biological rat for an arbitrary length of time and
try to guess which is which. Do you think you could guess correctly?
What aspects of the robot rat's movements do you think would give it
away?

--
Stathis Papaioannou