On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:25:31 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> So the neurons of a rat's brain can constitute a mind, but computer chips
> with the same functionality can't?
>
> Brent

It's begging the question to say the computer chips have 'the same
functionality' as a rat's brain and then presume to claim that demonstrates
functional equivalence.

The whole question is what is meant by functionality. Do the computer chips
metabolize oxygen? Do they produce antibodies to rat viruses? Again I point
to my cymatics example. I can generate cymatic patterns on a monitor screen
using computer chips without there being any sound associated with their
production at all. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that any
computer chip could ever have 'the same function' as a living cell.
Function is a transactional relation, it is necessary but not sufficient to
assure awareness.

Craig