The idea of looking for a spatio-temporal location of the mental (or soul)
categories in the brain is wrong IHMO, and it is surprising to heart this
from you Roger. Brain localization of mental functions is like trying to
locate physically the spell checker of a word processor in the hardware of
a personal computer. The spell checker uses most of the hardware.

But there are low level computer functions that are physically located,
such are the floating point unit, the memory transfer unit etc.  There are
a parallelism in the brain:  IHMO there is a confusion between very
specialized functions, like sensory processing, which are localized for
reasons of processing efficiency and wider, higuer level functions like the
self, which are not subject to this restriction. As far as i know, the
amygdala is part of these efficiency-constrained parts of the brain. For
this reason it is almost a separate organ. It is in charge of  early
processing of sensory data to trigger rapid responses before they are
consciously analysed.