From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-11, 08:30:14
Subject: Re: The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

Nah, the function of the amygdala only contributes one range of sense and
motive to the self.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2010/12/16/brain-anomaly-leaves-woman-without-fear

This woman has no amygdala, but besides not being able to experience or act out
of fear, "she is otherwise cognitively typical and experiences other emotions
such as happiness and sadness."

The self is orthogonal to it's shadows (brain, body, cells, clothes, house,
planet). The self is a lifetime. It is an experience of significance through
time, nothing more or less.