From: Alberto G. Corona
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-11, 07:33:36
Subject: Re: The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

The idea of looking for a spatio-temporal location of the mental (or soul)
categories in the brain is wrong IHMO, and it is surprising to heart this from
you Roger. Brain localization of mental functions is like trying to locate
physically the spell checker of a word processor in the hardware of a personal
computer. The spell checker uses most of the hardware.

But there are low level computer functions that are physically located, such
are the floating point unit, the memory transfer unit etc. ?here are a
parallelism in the brain: ?HMO there is a confusion between very specialized
functions, like sensory processing, which are localized for reasons of
processing efficiency and wider, higuer level functions like the self, which
are not subject to this restriction. As far as i know, the amygdala is part of
these efficiency-constrained parts of the brain. For this reason it is almost a
separate organ. It is in charge of ?arly processing of sensory data to trigger
rapid responses before they are consciously?nalysed.