On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:12:44 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2012, at 15:04, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> No, that is not what the article says:
>
> "Researchers who have studied a woman with *a missing amygdala*"
>
> "S.M. suffers from an extremely rare disease that *destroyed her amygdala*
> ."
>
> It's as straightforward as it can be. The idea that the amygala
> constitutes the entire experience of selfhood is not supported in any way.
>

> She lost "only" fear apparently. She will have to be cautious "manually"
> so to speak. She might need the fear of others to survive.
>
> Bruno

Yes. That other link talks a bit about experiments suggesting that it may
only be conditioned fear rather than all forms of fear. This combined with
the studies linking the amygdala to gambling and thrill seeking addictions
makes me think that is plays an important but fairly specific role of
managing risky and rewarding experiences.

Everything that I have read about the brain and neuroscience seems to point
to a system which is more resilient and less mechanistic than we would
imagine. Patients have had half of their brain removed and been relatively
unscathed. Unlike a computer, entire modules can be destroyed without
halting the program. It's what I would expect from a live organ made of
living micororganisms.

Craig