On 12 Sep 2012, at 12:03, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Self can include personality, history, ID, whatever,
but it has as its central, essential feature a point of focus
which is a unity: a substance, to use Leibniz's
vocabulary.

Which is not the "substance" is the materialist sense. OK.
The unity of self can be explained by the way we can make a soft, immaterial entity, having a self. No need to postulate more than numbers and elementary operations.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/12/2012
so that everything could function."
From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-11, 11:52:31
Subject: Re: The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

On 11 Sep 2012, at 13:05, Roger Clough wrote:

The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

Since neuroscience omits or seems not to feature the most important part of the brain, the self,
I've decided to try to locate it. I believe it is the amygdala.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KY_sgX2gAMY/Tg1zrbUs_fI/AAAAAAAAAfM/-XBfGi_O0RU/s1600/triune%2Bbrain.gif

<amygdala triune brain.png>

The amygdala is a small brain organ which is not pictured in the above diagram but is in the center of the reptelian brain in the above diagram. In fact it is at the well-protected center of the entire brain, where common sense, overall access to brain functions, and necessary survival tells you it ought to be. Its function is to alert you to anything dangerous in your path such as a snake. Thus it must have
two functions, a cognitive one to tell a branch from a snake, and
an affective one (fear) to cause you to jump back from the snake.

amygdala = cognitive + affective

Although neuroscience does not consider consciousness to be a dipole as below:

Cs = subject + object

It is a logical necessity. My suggestion is that the subject is the amygdala and the object is any needed part of the brain (you can find maps of these
through Google.

In this model, consciousness is at the bottom based on feelings,
such as the sense of passing time,or self-centered fear. Above or beyond are
the cognitive functions necessary for thinking and image perception.

I find this plausible for consciousness, but not for the self, which in my opinion might be related more to a cycle of information going through both the neocortex, and the cerebral stem. That would fit better Hobson theory of dreams, and computationalism. But that's speculation 'course.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/11/2012
so that everything could function."

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .