From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-11, 11:52:31
Subject: Re: The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

On 11 Sep 2012, at 13:05, Roger Clough wrote:

The self (the amygdala) and the triune brain

Since neuroscience omits or seems not to feature the most important part of the
brain, the self,
I've decided to try to locate it. I believe it is the amygdala.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KY_sgX2gAMY/Tg1zrbUs_fI/AAAAAAAAAfM/-XBfGi_O0RU/s1600/triune%2Bbrain.gif

<amygdala triune brain.png>

The amygdala is a small brain organ which is not pictured in the above diagram
but is in the center of the reptelian brain in the above diagram. In fact it is
at the
well-protected center of the entire brain, where common sense, overall access to
brain functions, and necessary survival tells you it ought to be.  Its function
is to alert
you to anything dangerous in your path such as a snake. Thus it must have
two functions, a cognitive one to tell a branch from a snake, and
an affective one (fear) to cause you to jump back from the snake.

amygdala = cognitive + affective

Although neuroscience does not consider consciousness to be a dipole as below:

Cs = subject + object

It is a logical necessity. My suggestion is that the subject is the amygdala
and the object is any needed part of the brain (you can find maps of these
through Google.

In this model, consciousness is at the bottom based on feelings,
such as the sense of passing time,or self-centered fear. Above or beyond are
the cognitive functions necessary for thinking and image perception.

I find this plausible for consciousness, but not for the self, which in my
opinion might be related more to a cycle of information going through both the
neocortex, and the cerebral stem. That would fit better Hobson theory of
dreams, and computationalism. But that's speculation 'course.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/11/2012
so that everything could function."