From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-12, 06:33:14
Subject: Re: On evil in the world as caused by an agent

Hi Roger,

On 12 Sep 2012, at 12:15, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Two horns ?  Metaphorically, yes. But real, actual, and an agent,
even though a metaphor. The Prince of Darkness, the Ruler of our earthly
domain.
That is a far more useful description than attributing evil to some pscyhiatric
condition or fate or whatever.

Evil generallly seems to act personally-- as an agent. And more often than
not, to go after good people, Job being a prime example. Jesus another.
Ten of the twelve apostles also died violent, painful deaths.
Another example would be the shocking number of incidences
of children or young women abducted, raped and murdered.

A serial killer would be a good example of such a demon-possessed
individual. Crime investigators find that he has no other motive than to kill.

Invoking a demon, or a god, can be a useful metaphor, but cannot be taking as
an explanation if we don't explain where the demon or God come from.

G del's incompleteness (consistency entails the consistency of inconsistency)
suggests a path for an answer.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/12/2012