From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-12, 13:07:32
Subject: Re: If I ever doubt that there is a God,

On 12 Sep 2012, at 14:00, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Any creator has to be greater than his creations.

Why?

The Universal Dovetailer,  is smaller than what it does, and what it created.

The Mandelbrot program is very small, but it "creates" the most complex object,
full or subtle mixing of order and randomness.

The complexity of the universal machine gives a threshold above which objects
have more complex behavior than their description, somehow.

It is a surprising, but known phenomenon (by logicians and computer scientist)
that arithmetic, despite very simple elementary beings (0, and its successors),
and laws operating on them, addition and multiplication, is full of complex
mathematical processes, unsolvable or very hard problems, etc. Just think about
the distribution of the prime numbers, or inform yourself. In arithmetic, above
universality, the creators are all overwhelmed by their creation. They can even
lost themselves in them.

This can be also compared to Plotinus, where the ONE is fundamentally simple,
and can't help itself not letting emanating from itself, the NOUS, Plato
"universal intelligence", which put order on Platonia, but also makes some
mess, and then the inner god, the universal soul, does not help, and it can
hurt.

If we ant keep the fundamental principle on God, like being responsible for our
existence, being unameable, then with comp there is a God, but It is not
omnipotent, nor omniscient, apparently. Divine knowledge is a body freezer.

The point is that God cannot be used as an explanation of whay we are here, if
it is more complex than its creation. I agree with the others on this.

It might be that the price to pay for any relative potence is a selective
amnesia and/or consciousness differentiation, like in self-multiplication
(amoeba, WM-duplication, etc.).

I like to quote Sri Aurobindo here:

What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?

And it is this ...
Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably (Aurobindo)