On Sep 16, 2012, at 5:01 PM, "Stephen P. King" <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

On 9/16/2012 3:06 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

Where is our universe located? What could its location be relative to?

That question presupposes that there is a large universe that this one is embedded into and that it is possible to define both coordinate maps from different points of view that can map the two and distinguish them from each other. Where did the assumption of communicability come from here? AFAIK< a universe is a closed system in the sense that any extension that we could add to it would be "part of" that universe, so the idea that there is a location of a universe does not make much sense to me. I was taking about the localizability of physical systems within a universe. I was presupposing the possibility of many locations that where capable of being considered as "it could be there, let me look and see if it is indeed there"...

Okay. When I first saw you use the term "physical system" I thought you were referring to an entire universe rather than parts of one.

Hi Jason,

OK, that would make your point consistent, but what if we wish to talk about and make predictions of the behavior of "parts of one"?

That's what are physical theories are about.

Jason
--
Onward!

Stephen