On 9/16/2012 3:06 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    Yes, but note that even in the case of a purely abstract
    mathematical universe, like a Hilbert space, we use a coordinate
    system and sets of maps to relate the relations of where "things"
    are in the space of the universe.

Sure, but my point is that having relative locations, or being locatable is not some unique trait of physical objects (which is not found in any mathematical object). You said that a Turing machine must be physically realized somewhere to yield consciousness, so my question is"What counts as a physical realization?"
Hi Jason,

Anything that has a Hamiltonian or a Lagrangian or the equivalent and is subject to the "laws of thermodynamics" is a "physical system" in my book. If a given "physical system" has in its dynamics (the stuff that happens in the Hamiltonian or Lagrangian) that are functionally equivalent to a "recursively enumerable function" then it is a "physical realization" of a "computation".