From: Evgenii Rudnyi
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-22, 07:29:27
Subject: Re: Physics, Metaphysics, and Realism

On 22.09.2012 11:48 Roger Clough said the following:
> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> I would classify your items as follows:
>
> MENTAL (outside of spacetime) : All experiences, dreams, delusions,
> information, mathematics, logic, time, space, feelings, thoughts,
> ideas, numbers, life itself, God, monads, mathematics, physical laws
> themselves, theory of any type.
>
> PHYSICAL (within spacetime): Anything with dimensions, anything you
> can measure with physical instruments (even indirectly), weigh or see
> under a microscope or telescope, mass, energy, force, velocity, time,
> distance, voltage, optical or sound intensity, wave amplitude, dna
> type, cancer type, living tissue, dead tissue, flesh (brain).

Let us take a table, it seems to be a good example of a physical object
with dimensions that we could measure. Yet, it is unclear to me what
happens when I watch the table. Does I perceive it directly? Or
alternatively does I observe just my perceptions of the table?

In other worlds, do you assume direct or indirect realism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_and_indirect_realism

Evgenii