From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-04, 15:18:48
Subject: Re: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Craig Weinberg  wrote:

> When you say "Random mutation can wire together a small number of cells such
> that if there is a sudden change in the light levels in the environment, like
> a shadow covering it, a snail will retreat into its shell", you have assumed
> sense and awareness to begin with.

I can reproduce the same rudimentary behavior with a few dozen transistors, or
vacuum tubes, or mechanical relays; if you assume that simple snail has
awareness then my machines do too.
?
> in theory, random mutation can't wire together anything.

Huh?
?
> Nothing can be wired together in a universe which is devoid of any capacity
> for detections, responses, and their meta-consequences.

I don't know what you're talking about, a toy robot can and does detect things
and makes responses that are determined by what it detects.?

> This is already awareness.

If particle X coming into contact with particle Y is awareness then everything
is aware, which is equivalent to nothing is aware. For a concept to have
meaning you need contrast. ?

> You are already assuming a mechanism in which one thing can have something to
> do with another thing

I'm not assuming machines exist, I know for a fact that they do.?

?> where there can be a such thing as 'light levels' or other experiences of
coherent sensation/detection. You are already assuming participatory efficacy
in the perception event

Photoelectric detectors have existed for a long time and Einstein explained how
they work in 1905, I'm not sure I'd say these machines "perceive"? the light
but if you want to use that word I won't argue the point.

?
> the snail will retreat into its shell means that something is able to detect
> the external condition and causally effect the behavior of the cells of the
> snail to the point that they physically contract and move into a different
> position within the shell.

And a high school kid for his science fair project could make a robot snail
that does the exact same thing, and he probably wouldn't even win first place.

? John K Clark

?