On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:05:06 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:
> So it is reasonable to define life as that which can produce order
> out of chaos" *. Since at least higher living beings
> also possess consciousness, my "grand" hypothesis is that
> life = consciousness = awareness = producing order out of chaos.

I agree Roger. I would add to this understanding however, a logarithmic
sense of increasing quality of experience.

human experience = consciousness > animal experience = awareness >
microbiotic experience = sensation > inorganic experience = persistence of
functions and structures.

I would not say producing order out of chaos because I think that chaos is
not primordial. Nonsense is a mismatch or attenuation of sense, not the
other way around. Order cannot be produced from chaos unless chaos
implicitly contains the potential for order...which makes the production of
orderly appearance really just a formality.