On Monday, October 15, 2012 12:14:55 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>  > Since we know that our consciousness
>>

> You don't know diddly squat about "our consciousness", you only know about
> your consciousness; assuming of course that you are conscious, if not then
> you don't even know that.

If that were true, then you don't know diddly squat about what I know. You
can't have it both ways. Either it is possible that we know things or it is
not. You can't claim to be omniscient about my ignorance.

> > is exquisitely sensitive to particular masses of specific chemicals, yet
>> relatively tolerant of other kinds of chemical changes,
>>

> And a computer is exquisitely sensitive to particular voltages and not
> sensitive at all to other voltages that don't make the threshold.

Let's see how computer fares under a giant junkyard magnet.

> > it suggests that we should strongly suspect that COMP is a fantasy.
>>

> And so the computer strongly suspects that biological consciousness is a
> fantasy.

Maybe the doorknob thinks that hands aren't alive too? Maybe you can talk
yourself into believing that sophistry, but I'm not buying it.

Craig