On 26 Oct 2012, at 01:45, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:16:47 PM UTC-4, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
Citeren Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>:

> On Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:58:33 PM UTC-4, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
>>
>> You can identify a particular qualia with certain computational states >> of algorithms. All you need to do to (in principle) decide if a system
>> is "experiencing the color red" is to see if the right algorithm is
>> being executed.
>>

> That may not even be the case at all. In people who are blind from birth,
> activity in their visual cortex is perceived as tactile experience.
>
> Craig

That then means that the right algorithm isn't executed.

No, it means that there may in fact be no algorithm that can be executed in the brain of a person who is blind from birth which will result in visual experience.
I don't think
one can argue against this, as having a mathematical description of
Nature implies this.
This is precisely what I do argue - that no mathematical description of Nature is complete

I agree, but today we know that there is no mathematical description of arithmetic capable of being complete.

and that all perceptual experience is rooted in an authenticity which transcends rationality.

That can be shown as necessary when you assume comp.

Comp isn't true.

The reductionist conception of comp is not true.

Nature cannot be described in any terms outside of experience itself.

What is "Nature" ?

Bruno

Craig

Saibal

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/E9AKMG-g218J .