On 31 Oct 2012, at 14:30, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Yes, in Leibniz's metaphysics, the only active agent
is the supreme monad ...

This makes sense, with "supreme monad" = universal number.

... (the One),

I prefer to reserve the ONE for the whole arithmetical truth. The universal number defines only, or get only, a tiny part of it.

The supreme monads are the universal mayer of reality. We get already many in the brain (and the brain itself), but also in our cells (I can argue at least).

The ONE, or arithmetical truth, is much bigger, knows much more, and is typically NOT active. It just is, if you want.

The soul is what will connect the supreme monad (the man, but also the octopi!) to the ONE, or God (the Truth).

who essentially does everything-- but performs
actions needed or requested by its submonads.

Submonads?

One might think of the supreme monad as creating
all actions. As universal mind.

Yes. that's us, except that we have invented the experts, and the many non universal jobs. That's God's problem, he lost himself into supreme monads (universal structure) and even eventually into non universal one (like an employee in some manufactories, repeating mechanical acts all the time).

The actions themselves appear "as if" they
would in Newton's physics.

Locally. Yes, but this is what comp must explain. Comp might still fail on this. It is its main test.

Hmmm. I've never considered that there might be
comparable submonads in Plato's realm.

Submonads?

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net